Martha McDermott was born in Flint, Michigan and obtained her undergraduate degree in Political Science from the University of Iowa in 1992 and her Juris Doctorate from Indiana University in 1995. She has been practicing law with Greg and Chris Garrison since 1996.
Martha focuses her practice on family law matters, debt collection, and probate.
She represents clients in divorce, child custody/parenting time, child support, guardianships of minors and/or incapacitated adults, paternity actions, contempt, post-decree-modifications, relocations, protective orders, appeals, and many other family law issues including estate planning after divorce.
Martha is an experienced trial attorney, but also understands the value of working with her clients and opposing parties to bring resolution to issues and cases in the most cost effective and least stressful way, which may include participating in mediation or other non-court options. Martha is a parent and understands that parties to a divorce should not lose sight of the best interest of their children.
Martha also practices in the area of creditor’s rights. She represents financial institutions, medical professionals, businesses and individuals throughout Indiana in debt collection matters. Whether it is collateral recovery, filing estate claims, litigating a case, or creditor representation in debtor’s bankruptcy proceedings, Martha diligently pursues debtors to maximize recovery for her clients.
Martha is an AV Preeminent® rated lawyer by Martindale-Hubbell. This rating signifies that Martha’s peers ranked her at the highest level of professional excellence for her legal knowledge, communication skills and ethical standards.
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana
Civic Organizations and Volunteerism
- Judge Pro Tem, Marion County Paternity Court
- Judge Pro Tem, Marion County Superior Court
- Indiana Bar Association
- We The People judge, Indiana Bar Foundation
- Speaker, Indianapolis District Dental Society, Debt Collections for Medical Professionals
- Sidener Academy PTA
- Indy Synchro, Level III judge
- Metropolitan Youth Orchestra, parent volunteer
- Yoon v. Yoon 711 NE2d 1265 (Ind 1999)
- Rendon v. Rendon, 692 NE2d 889 (Ind Ct App 1998)
- Belman v. Edmundson, 722 NE2d 917 (Ind Ct. App 2000)