Family Law

Emancipation is the legal term used when your child no longer is eligible for child support.

In Indiana, child support used to terminate when a child reached age 21 (age of emancipation for child support purposes).  As of July 1, 2012, the Indiana statutes have changed, and child support now terminates at age 19, although an educational support order may be imposed for college costs.

Your child may also be emancipated for child support purposes if he or she joins the military before his or her 19th birthday, gets married, or is no longer under your care or control, and is capable of supporting his or her self.

If your child fits into one of the above categories, you may want to consider filing a court petition to emancipate your child or to modify your child support order.

Martha McDermott can assist you with evaluating your circumstances to determine if emancipation is appropriate in your situation.

Request a Consultation:

Your Full Name (required)

Your Email (required)

Your Phone Number (required)

Brief Case Description

Martha McDermott

Martha McDermott

Family Law Attorney

Living Will or Healthcare Power of Attorney?

Some people use the terms "Living Will" and "Health Care Power of Attorney" interchangeably, but they are two distinct documents. Living Will A Living Will is a written document from you describing your end of life wishes. The Living Will tells your loved ones and...

What is a Power of Attorney?

A Power of Attorney is a document that lets you delegate financial or health care decisions to another person to make on your behalf.

Filing for Divorce: 5 things to consider

Filing for divorce is not an easy decision to make. There are many things to think about as you try to make the best choice for you and your children. As you think about filing for divorce we wanted to offer some things to consider before you make that final decision....

Child Support Order: Paying for a Graduate Degree

It has been well established in Indiana that a court may order a divorced parent to contribute toward his or her child’s post-secondary education expenses under a child support order. What has not been determined, is whether or not that contribution could include...

How Do I Know I Need a Will?

A simple will is not expensive, and is definitely worth the peace of mind knowing your wishes are legally documented. Between one-half and two-thirds of American adults don’t have a will. This could be for several reasons... Many people don’t want to think about end...