If you have been injured in an accident and feel like you need a lawyer, you might just be overwhelmed as to where to start looking. Local Indianapolis TV stations are saturated with personal injury lawyers vying for your business. You might do a simple Google search for “Indianapolis Personal Injury Lawyer.” Even there, you come up with pages upon pages of names of personal injury lawyers from which to choose.
So, how do you decide which lawyer is the best fit for you? We put together a short list of things you should keep in mind when choosing an Indianapolis personal injury lawyer.
Choosing an Indianapolis Personal Injury Lawyer
- Experience: First things first. We believe and understand that experience is of the utmost importance. Choosing an Indiana firm with that experience is paramount to your case. Just like every other occupation, the personal injury practice has its own vocabulary, its own customs and practices, and its own rules. So ask the right questions. How many cases have they handled, and of what variety? What percentage of their practice is devoted to injury cases? The answers will tell you quickly whether they pass the experience test.
- In-house and outside resources: You want a law firm that has immediate access to healthcare professionals who assist in collecting, organizing, and evaluating medical information to build your personal injury case.
- Courtroom Experience: There should be attorneys in place who can do more than take depositions and read hospital charts. You still need to be represented by lawyers who know their way around a courtroom.
- Attorneys’ fees: It’s a contingent fee world today, and the old traditional 1/3 fee is still pretty much the rule. Although it is now common for the arrangement to go up to 40% if suit and/or trial is required and to 50% in the event of an appeal. Trials are rare, and appeals are even more so, but those provisions are common in contingent fee contracts. All contingent fee agreements are required by law to be in writing.
- Personality: While the most important thing is hiring a personal injury lawyer that has the experience and skills to recover the compensation you are due, it is also important to hire an attorney that you feel comfortable with and can connect with on a personal level. Your injuries are personal and often emotional. You want a personal injury lawyer that truly cares for you.
- Meet face to face: Ask for a sit down meeting with a potential lawyer. Sit down with the lawyer and ask him/her about the items in tips 1-5. Most personal injury lawyers will be happy to meet with you and will hold a consultation at no cost to you. Some will even come to your home or your hospital room if you are unable to travel due to your injuries.
Don’t just settle for any Indianapolis personal injury lawyer on the TV, internet, or even the back of the phone book. Get to know your lawyer before you hire him/her and make sure he or she is the right fit for you. Call Garrison Law Firm today, and put us to the test! We would love to get to know you and discuss your personal injury case and how we can help you recover the compensation you are due.
What our clients are saying…
Amazingly helpful and patient and thorough
Ashley was amazingly helpful, patient with me when I asked a million questions about my case, and thorough. She was great about keeping me up to date with wath was going on with the case and where we were in the process. I cannot say enough good things about her.Cherie
GLF staff was very professionial and so helpful. They really took an interest in our case and did everthing possible to help settle our claim. Thanks GLF !Molly M.
My wife was hit head-on by an F-350 that did not yield at an intersection from which, we found later, that she suffered irreparable nerve damage in her leg. We consulted with and hired Chris and his team to represent my wife They guided us and handled everything from start to finish. We reached a successful settlement with the insurance company, thanks to Chris.Bill
Recent Articles from our Indianapolis Personal Injury Lawyers
Definition: A dram shop is a legal term in the United States referring to a bar, tavern or the like where alcoholic beverages are sold. When is an establishment liable for over-serving a patron who injures someone because of intoxication? Dram Shop:...
Males, children between 1 – 4 years of age, and minorities are most at risk for drowning deaths and ten people die every day from unintentional drownings.
If you were recently injured in an accident you might ask yourself, “Should I hire a personal injury attorney?” You might not even know how a personal injury attorney can help you. There are many ways we as a personal injury attorney can help you recover the...
With warm weather tends to come more motor vehicle accidents as well as other injuries. A likely explanation for this common trend involves multiple realities. First, more drivers are on the road. Whether taking vacations or traveling more for fun activities, such...
Tragically, day care deaths have been all over the news in Indiana recently. DAY CARE DEATHS IN 2016 Death of an 10-month old on April 6, 2016 Death of a 1-year old on April 25, 2016 Death of a 16-month old on August 8, 2016 THE SCARY FACTS According to an...
The cold weather is quickly approaching regardless of whether you are ready for it. This means our days are quickly shortening because the sun is coming up later each morning and it is going down earlier each evening! This also means that the dreaded slick road...